Monday, September 27, 2010

Corn kernels.......

Today was supposed to be the perfect day.... Katherine and Caleb had the day off school so I organized a neighborhood outing to the Center Grove Apple Orchard. I had packed a picnic lunch, the sun shining, and we were going to be playing outside all day with friends. Sokolowski's were riding with us so we had a packed car... 6 kids in total -- tons of laughter planning all they'd do that day.

Unfortunately, things didn't go exactly as planned.... As soon as we arrived, the kids immediately wanted to go into the "corn pool" which is a huge pit filled with corn and surrounded by slides and bales of hay. We walked in and I took out my camera, but couldn't get it to work. I fiddled around with the settings and made sure it was turned on, but still no luck. All of a sudden it dawned on me -- I had forgotten my my battery. Really??? I couldn't believe it. As luck would have it, Julie also shoots with a Cannon, so I was going to snag her battery, but it wasn't compatible. Strange, but true. So we decided that I'd just shoot with her camera, but I wanted to put my lens on it.

All of a sudden, Caleb starts screaming. The look on his face told me that something was SERIOUSLY wrong. He looked totally panic stricken. It wasn't a "I'm in pain" cry. There was pure panic and fear on his face. He wasn't OK.

I ran over and dropped next to him in the corn. He was beside himself. He was terrified and couldn't talk right away. It pained me to see him like this.

Finally I got out of him that he was making "corn angels" (similar to snow angels but in corn LOL) and a kernel went into his ear. I got him out, looked in the light and didn't see anything. Julie (who is a pharmacist) also thought it looked fine. Caleb INSISTED that something was in his ear.

I took him outside, pulled his ear lobe back to get a deep look in the canal. I saw what I thought was earwax. Before today, I had never thought of it, but dried corn and earwax are pretty much the same color! LOL!!

*** The worst thing about this whole ordeal was that the kernel was in his bad ear. If you ever noticed in pictures, Caleb has two different ears. They don't match at all, and the one causes him a tremendous amount of grief. Normally, it is much fatter and sticks out from his head much further than the other ear. When he's sick it sticks out even further, gets fiery red and runs a fever. This ear is the reason that you've never seen a picture of him without a collared shirt on. It's too painful for him to wear a regular t-shirt.... pulling it over his head brings tears to his eyes. So polo shirts it is for my handsome little guy!

Anyway, Julie and I finally could see the kernel so I ran to find a tweezers. Neither Julie or I could get it out. We could feel it, but couldn't get close to grabbing it. I called Dr. Jon's office in a panic. The office girls told me he was totally full, and I should take Caleb to the walk in clinic. That wasn't happening!! I told them to go talk to Jon and assured the office girl he'd see Caleb. Around this point, my phone loses signal. I call back, and explain the situation again and then hang up. I have no clue what on earth I was thinking. I was about in a panic! All of a sudden, I break down, tears in my eyes, thinking about going to some hack in the walk-in clinic, and my poor little guy enduring a broken ear drum. I call back a third time, and the office girl told me that Jon was with a patient, and his nurse was going to talk to him. 15 minutes later, he gets on the phone with me, and tells me that he won't be able to get it out either. I need to take Caleb to an ENT as they have special tools and a vacuum to get it out.

OK, at least Jon was honest.... he couldn't do it, but of course, the walk-in clinic wasn't an option either.

The rest of the day was a blur. We decided to stay and let the rest of the kids play, since going home wouldn't do anything for Caleb's ear. The kids played in the hay maze, enjoyed the picnic and jumped on this huge pillow thing. It's like a trampoline but about 40 yards long and doesn't drop off on the side like a trampoline would. Katherine put on quite a show. Kids stared at her in awe as she did back handsprings down the entire length of it -- maybe 9 or 10 in a row. Julie got it on video, and the funniest part is watching all the kids standing and staring at her! LOL.

Right before we left, we went out to the orchard and picked apples. The kids climbed the trees and Andrew ran up and down the rows of trees screaming in delight. Thankfully, Julie took tons of pictures, and as soon as she sends them I'll post pictures!

In order for me to get Caleb to the doctor, we had to do quite a bit of shuffling. His appointment was at 4, so Matt came home from work while Andrew napped and a friend took Katherine to gymnastics, which started at 4:30.

First of all, the ENT was great. He had a fabulous bedside manner and related to kids wonderfully. I think they immediately assume that kids shove things into their ears and up their nose when something is lodged. However, after talking to Caleb for a few minutes, it was clear that this wasn't the case. This was a one in a million shot and that kernel landed just right. He took a quick look and said that it was lodged in his canal really far, and that it was possible that he might have to be put under and have it surgically removed. Oh. My. Goodness. Really???? He said he know if he could grab it or not right away......

He put a little device into Caleb's ear that widened the opening as much as possible and took out a LONG (maybe 12 inches or so) and super thin rod. He told Caleb to hold as still as possible and pulled it right out. He then showed me the device he used. It had a tiny claw on the end that he used to grab the tip of the kernel. *SIGH* What a relief! He told me that if the kernel had gone into his ear any other way, he probably could not have grabbed it.

We then went on to talk about that ear. He noticed the difference right away, and without me saying anything. DUH, that's his job! LOL! I told him how much trouble he had with it, how it hurt him, how he only wears polo shirts, how it runs a fever when he's sick, etc..... and the ENT mentioned that if Caleb was his child, he'd have plastic surgery done to fix it. It was an easy fix, especially given the fact that he'll be in sports, wear helmets, and socially, it'd be nice to have it fixed. I've thought about having it fixed many times in the past, but today, hearing an ENT tell me that I should have it done, is really making me think. He gave me name and number of a plastic surgeon here in Des Moines that just does surgery from the neck up. UUUUUGH.

8 comments:

java ukigoshi said...

happy new years

java said...

happy new years

j7 said...

happy new years

Anonymous said...

Never forget::The Gods have created positioning to conceal their true intent in each and every dyanmic we see in society.
There is the way things look and there is the God's REAL reason for doing things.

A good example of societal decay and how the gods manage their culpability is birth defects. In the past the gods occassionally punished people by divinely creating birth defects in the womb. Now, with the advent of biotechnology, they tempt the mother with "earning" and compell her to take a substance in utero which deforms the fetus, dispelling the gods of blame and future obligation to the victim. Incidentally, they use liberal policies to pay for these individuals, ensuring a lifetime wasted, for they have no hope for progress. Too often in the past they were mercifully killed and brought back without this handicap, allowing them opportunity to resume their journey of ascention into heaven.
The gods are washing their hands of culpability.
The gods are washing their hands of Planet Earth.

The gods manufactured the tactic of the Holocaust to accomplish the goals they planned.
I am of the opinion the gods would have interviened in its absence, illustrating their claims of being good, and established "old world" dictatorship control at the dawn of mankind's mass moral deterioration. Purely speculation, I conceed, and a total waste of time which distracts from important work we are all responsible for, but even without the Holocaust the gods would have manufactured something that would allow them to manage their culpability and justify their lack of divine intervention. After all, we all abide by their chronology.

Another feature which the Gods offer as a clue is very foreboading and ominous. Mt. Zion is a mountain to the north of Diablo (the eye of The Beast) and one which has a working quarry at its base. Consistant with the decay we experience in society, Mt. Zion is being eaten away, slowly stripped of its resources, until one day paradise will be gone forever.

Whimsical management=Unstable pathology:::
*Tuscon-waffles
*2006 Hawaii-Jewelry
*Ivan/Wilma-SCUBA
*Haiti-slaves
*Chile-crappy fruit
I'm sure you got some excuse. Just like Mustang Ranch.
You've compromised your integrity so hard you no longer deserve the label "gods".

The gods used the Italians to ruin life in the 20th century.
The gods used the Italians to ruin life in A.D..
"The West Bank, where the end of the world will begin."
And they were reincarnated into the ghetto to be punished as crack babies and in drive-by shootings, ironically poetic justice for inflicting these horrors on their hated enemies.
On their brothers.

i don't care if you did escape the last Big Bang.
The last 10,000,000,000 Big Bangs.
I would systematically exterminate your kind for exploiting me like you did.
You would be clone hosted so I could kill you over and over.
I would burn you at the stake so often you would beg me to let you die.
"You deserved it." Considering how you pushed me into all my offenses I suspect it was no different in a prior life.
Fuck you.

They share that some have expressed their concern about their behavior:::They destroyed my life they and are doing to much and have crossed the line.
I'm sure they got some excuse.
They did shit like poker, Eminem and Mustang Ranch for a reason.

hapi said...

Hi Ann, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

It's a pity you've taken a break. I've enjoyed reading some of your anecdotes!

hotels in pachmarhi said...

Nice blog and use full information for me thanks for sharing it. Good Job

forest lake windshield replacement said...

She must have been so happy when she found them.