Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Preschool begins!

This year I agonized a million times over the right place to send Caleb for preschool. Should he go to Tiny Treasures, the Lutheran preschool that Katherine attended for three years? The school he went for the last two years? The school I loved and was very involved in, including sitting on the board that ran it? The school where we met so many wonderful people and made life long friends? OR ... should I send him to the Johnston public preschool -- a totally new place (to us) where all my neighbors were going and so many kids from here in town go? He'd go into kindergarten knowing so many more people..... The curriculum at the public preschool feeds right into into the kindergarten curriculum, which I liked. Oh, and he'd have Friday off, which means a "Mommy and Caleb" day -- also a plus since he'll go to school for the rest of his life.

I was so conflicted. I made lists detailing the pros and cons of each school. I asked the opinion of so many people, listening to what they said and filing it away, but always knowing I'd send him exactly where I wanted to... regardless of what anyone else thought. Everyone kept asking me about it ... Where was I going to send him? Which way was I leaning? When would I decide? I had no answers. Seriously, when August 10th rolled around, I was no closer to making a decision than I was May. This was one of those decisions that made my stomach hurt. UUUUUGH! I was so afraid of making the wrong decision.

Miss Jessica, from Johnston, called and wanted to do a home visit. When she arrived at the house, she was pleasant enough, and we got along well. However, I didn't instantly love her, and I should, right??? She just finished her masters degree (in education no less), and gave me tons of detail on the curriculum and the kid's daily schedule. She talked directly to Caleb, and she clearly loves kids, but I was still hesitant. Caleb was not. He liked her -- which was HUGE in my decision.

Ironically enough, not more than 30 minutes after she walked out the door, his would-be teacher from Tiny Treasures called, wanting to set up a home visit. I nearly puked. Seriously. Decision day was on my door step and I still didn't know what to do. Matt was no help. His frequent advise was "it's just preschool. Make a decision and go with it". Thanks a lot....

Finally, I decided to send him to Johnston. It started a week earlier than Tiny Treasures, and I figured if he didn't like it, I'd switch. After all, I had a spot in both schools.

On the first day, he had a blast. He met so many new friends and has three of his neighbor friends in his class. He loves his teacher, and although I still had reservations, we decided to stay. At this point in his "education career" the only thing that really matters is that he likes school, and that he does!

So -- here he is on his first day, August 30th.

With Collin, one of his best friends, and our backyard neighbor.









Check out the snazzy Spiderman backpack. Each year, my mom buys the kids backpacks from Potterybarn as a "back to school" gift and Caleb absolutely loves his!!






Look at those smiles. He can't wait to get to school!




The first week went well. He loves school, loves learning, and loves his teachers. Oh, and going to school with three kids that he knows so well, isn't bad either.
So a week later, I'm relieved to say that I honestly believe that I made the right decision. It's a great school, and he is SO happy there. It's the perfect fit for him -- thank God!! So here's to a great year!!

3 comments:

Danyel said...

so cute! he is just a doll. what a big boy!

Marshall Lynch said...

really cute school boy.
Gun Clips | Tacoma Carpet Cleaner

buy facebook followers said...

The information you provide on this blog is awesome.