Monday, August 23, 2010

Back to school!

Today was Katherine's first day of school .... my baby girl is now a second grader ..... aaahhhh, it seems like every year at this time, I sit wondering where the time has gone.... How quickly the days, months and years are flying by. I really try to cherish each moment with her ... enjoying every moment of her smallness -- her sweet innocence -- her zest for life. She's turning into this amazing girl that I am SO proud of.


Every year, I make her favorite "reverse" chocolate chip cookies on the first day of school. It's a chocolate cookie with white chips and she'd eat a dozen if I didn't stop her! So while she was working hard this afternoon in school, Caleb and I whipped up a batch.


Here she is eating her absolute favorite cookie and enjoying a gorgeous afternoon with friends. (For some reason all the pictures uploaded backwards...)




Caleb with one of his best friends, Collin. It's funny -- today I went to the zoo with some neighbors (Andrea, Carolyn and Kristin), and as we were at the playground a lady stopped the boys and and asked them if they were brothers. Caleb just laughed and said "NO"!, she then asked if they were cousins, and again he laughed and said, "NO WAY! He's not my family, just my best friend"!




They boys in our backyard right after eating the cookies Caleb made!





My little Katherine.... a newly turned second grader.





Katherine with her best friend Olivia.







Just off the bus!!





This is one of the main reasons I love our neighborhood. These are the kids who get off at her stop, and there are several more stops in our neighborhood..... These are her friends. These are the kids she's grown up with since birth. These are my friend's children. When she remembers her childhood, it will be filled with many memories of each person in the picture. I can't express in words how special this neighborhood is ... how much laughter fills the air, how many great friends she has here, how much warmth and love exists here. We laugh about it, but it's true... this neighborhood is like 1950's America.


Getting off the bus!!






Caleb getting ready to grab Katherine off the bus. He couldn't wait to see his big sister!

I drove Katherine to school today -- I just had to get some "school" pics!!
This is Katherine in her classroom. She is super excited to finally get a desk this year! This girl is ready and eager to learn!!


This is her teacher, Mrs. South.


Putting things away in her locker.... Notice the lunch bag in the top shelf ... she won't even eat a hot lunch on the first day! LOL!!

See the heart pillow on the floor??? Her teacher asked each child to bring a small pillow that they could sit or lay on while they read. We found this little gem at Target and it's been quite the hit!!



Walking into school --



Heading to school! She was so excited about going to school this year!




1 comment:

Danyel said...

busy girl. glad she had a great first day!